Wednesday 1 January 2014

Science versus the soul mate

"Then we have the romantics in life, such as me,
who believe that we will one day meet our soul mate"

I have been pondering the next instalment of my blog. I wanted to write around another theme in my book but I didn't want this to distract or pigeonhole the book. The last blog discussed friendship and travelling, which is covered in my story but another important area is love. Now before you shut down your computer or handheld device in disgust I will try not to be too soppy or too deep. I am not talking about motherly love, sisterly love or brotherly love - I am talking about earth moving, soul searching and doughy eyed love.

We've all experienced or witnessed it: Our friend who used to prop up the bar, dribbling out of the corner of their mouth while performing the caterpillar - badly; suddenly turns into a mush of a person who tells you that they never felt whole before and now, man, they really are whole and have been made to feel complete by this amazing person. They walk around with their head in the clouds, you don't see them for a year and you're pretty sure in that year they haven't seen the light of day.

I think the first section of the relationship is borderline madness, the hormones flying around your system and the magical realm you enter. The relationship soon progresses out of this section to being with your 'best friend' which is a very special relationship and one of the most important relationships you will form. However we all have different beliefs, some of us are more sceptical and have a more scientific view that we were made to procreate (hallelujah to procreating)! All those 'head in the clouds' moments is purely science lulling you in to ensure the deed is done and another human is fired out by the power of reproduction. 

Then we have the romantics in life, such as me, who believe that we will one day meet our soul mate. The stars have aligned and you meet the person you were put here on earth to walk side by side with. Your eyes meet across the room and you are drawn in, feeling a pull that drags you from sanity and over to a person who is about to change your world. Ok, ok, so now I am getting deep and meaningful but there are some occasions in life you think; 'whoa, now that was freaky': The person you bumped into years before and you were gutted you never asked for their number catches your eye across the cold meats section at your local supermarket. These moments blow your mind and in my opinion, so they should. I am sure the sceptics think that you just happened to be in the same place at the same time - merely a coincidence. However, I do think we all enjoy a good story around this topic - these stories 'warm your cockles'.

There are things most of us have felt: the electricity as your eyes meet across a room, the energy coming from someone you are inches away from and the force of the pull you feel, the anticipation of that first kiss and how alive you feel when someone touches your skin. This then progresses to the more romantic phase of glancing across the room to spot you soul mate propping up the bar, dribbling out of the corner of their mouth while performing the caterpillar - badly. You stand there thinking in your head: 'Result!! I am taking you home with me tonight.'

I don't get into the latter part of a relationship as part of my story but I do tell the story of falling in love. However, not all stories of falling in love are reciprocated and the story of falling in love can also be a rocky road. We don't always fall in love with the person we should and we don't always get the approval of our nearest and dearest, but don't these situations sometimes make the best stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment