Wednesday 23 April 2014

It's time to get a bit deep and meaningful......

A couple of quotes to assist with this weeks blog

It’s hard not to get philosophical when writing, after all you are usually writing a story you hope will entertain but will also to provoke thought. I think it’s important to stimulate healthy debate and get people thinking about life in a way that they may not have previously considered. I have been thinking about the purpose of my blogs, which ultimately are here to encourage a curiosity of my book. I want my blogs to be thought provoking, as that is also what I want my book to be but in a story telling kind of way!

I am lucky to live in the country I currently reside, as not every country is living in what I perceive as a modern era. A large percentage of the world’s population live in dictatorships where the mere thought of a society being ‘curious’ petrifies its government. This quote is from 1593, an awfully long time ago I am sure you will agree:

“Curiosity is the unbridled desire of those who seek to know more than they should.” – Cesare Ripa

As I stated this quote from 1593, I like to think we have progressed a lot since then, it is staggering to think that there are still places on this globe that think this way. There are governments who are scared by their populations thirst for knowledge and are angered by the audacity of anyone that would question their rule. I am not questioning that we do need rules to ensure there isn’t complete anarchy but there are some rules that oppress and have no real purpose other than control. It is now 2014, 421 years later (that is right, I can do maths) - so why is it in 421 years those societies have not progressed in their thinking and yet others have?

The photo above are quotes that were written for me by my close friend/chief book reader and sister from another mister, Lisa. I have gone away and read around these quotes because they relate to journeys of the central character. The first quote I really like and it is taken from a book on philosophy. This is for the purpose of those that may struggle to read the scribble above:
 
“If wonder and curiosity are human attributes, so too are the thrill of exploration and the joy of discovery” – Will Buckingham et al (The Philosophy Book)

I believe through wonder and curiosity we develop who we are. We learn more about the world, other people and our surroundings. It truly is the thrill of life and in fact of living, I believe this makes you truly alive. I hope my book takes the wonder and curiosity of the protagonist, to then take the reader on the journey of exploration and discovery. I hope that you get sucked in to want to know more and want to keep turning pages. I also think that exploration and discovery reflect bravery and set the direction of our own personal journeys. 

The last quote is probably the one I have mulled over the most. Again, I have saved your eyes and saved you scrolling back up the page by writing it below:

“Scepticism is the first step towards truth” – Denis Diderot

Do you accept what you see? Do you accept what you are told? Do you ask more questions? Do you probe further to find out the truth? Are you too scared to ask questions? If you take everything at face value, then you will believe it is the truth, but is it really?

Am I now just really messing with your head? I think I am confused again. Where was I? Where am I?

I tend to avoid asking a lot of questions, mainly down to self doubt and a fear of what the truth actually is. I tried to make the main character a lot braver than I actually am, I tried to make her someone I would want to be. Technically, what is there to be scared of by finding out the truth? Why could the truth be so scary? Sometimes the truth is the best thing that could ever happen to you. You could retort that it can also be the worst - I disagree - you heal, you move on, you get stronger and you become a better person. This naturally equates to the best thing that ever happened to you in that circumstance. I can even think of more tragic examples, but by knowing the truth, however devastating you can put in place a plan to overcome, to prevent or to accept.

Is denial necessarily a good place to be? Am I now completely wrecking your head? My head hurts so I will stop this toddler onslaught of why's! I will leave you with this one thought:
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them" - Galileo Galilei

 

No comments:

Post a Comment